UK Passport Office Claims Acting is ‘Not a Proper Job’

uk-passport-actorsI’m sure all the actors reading this have at one time or another received some sort of disparaging remark about acting not being a “real job,” especially early in one’s career.  But to get the same guff from the people issuing passports… and in the UK, home of Shakespeare?  That’s rough.

But that’s what happened to Michael Sheldon, an actor appearing in the West End production of Three Days in May, when he was rejected after he attempted countersigning his daughter’s boyfriend’s passport application.  The application was rejected by the Identity and Passport Service not only because the photo was “unsuitable,” but ruled Sheldon as an ineligible signer because acting is not considered “a proper job.”

In response, Malcolm Sinclair, the president of Equity (the UK’s actor’s union), wrote a letter to Home Secretary Theresa May explaining that the assessment of acting that Sheldon received wasn’t acceptable.  He went even further to point out that if the passport office doesn’t see acting as a proper job, “Unless we are told otherwise, we must take it that the views of a clerk in the passport office represent those of the Government,” suggesting that the UK government as a whole must not view acting as ‘a proper job.”

The Identity and Passport Service is launching an investigation, but made sure to point out, “The occupation of the counter-signatory is not a determining factor in considering a passport application,” so it seems unclear how the “not a proper job” criticism even came about.

We actors get no respect!

via MSN News

1. Ben Leasure via Facebook

March 5, 2012 at 1:51 pm

So in the UK Daniel Day-Lewis and Daniel Craig do not have proper jobs. Logical.

2. Cia Court Rosenberg via Facebook

March 5, 2012 at 5:02 pm

OMG! At first, I thought this was an Onion headline!

3. Thomas Murphy via Facebook

March 5, 2012 at 6:56 pm

SO…what is a “proper Job”? Republican presidential candidate?

4. Thomas Ray via Facebook

March 6, 2012 at 6:37 am

Voted NO on the proposed S.A.G. merger

5. Anne Morag via Facebook

March 6, 2012 at 10:08 am

They are seriously NOT thinking over there, are they? Read the article, loved the backlash.

March 6, 2012 at 1:24 pm

Great comments. Thanks for making me laugh guys 🙂

Sarah Paulson: “I muscled a lot of what I’ve achieved by sheer force of will and relentless determination”
"If my career had turned out like the fantasy I had of what it was going to be, it would never have made me happy" - Sarah Paulson
Boyd Holbrook on Shooting ‘Narcos’ in Colombia: “It was the most difficult thing I’ve ever done”
Holbrook talks about working with the real-life Steve Murphy, what movie inspired his narration, and why shooting in Colombia was so challenging.
How Joseph Gordon-Levitt Developed his ‘Snowden’ Voice
"You're playing someone that everybody in the world has seen before. It's a little different than playing a fictitious character." - Joseph Gordon-Levitt
Renée Zellweger on Returning to Film After a Six-Year Absence: “I needed to grow as a person in ways that didn’t revolve around my work”
Zellweger talks about what prompted her six-year absence from Hollywood, what's different about playing Jones again, and ageism in Hollywood.
Dev Patel: “I want there to be people that look like me represented on screen”
"There aren’t many roles written for someone that looks like me. It’s slim pickings. It’s difficult, but I try and stay on the optimistic side." - Dev Patel