UK Passport Office Claims Acting is ‘Not a Proper Job’

uk-passport-actorsI’m sure all the actors reading this have at one time or another received some sort of disparaging remark about acting not being a “real job,” especially early in one’s career.  But to get the same guff from the people issuing passports… and in the UK, home of Shakespeare?  That’s rough.

But that’s what happened to Michael Sheldon, an actor appearing in the West End production of Three Days in May, when he was rejected after he attempted countersigning his daughter’s boyfriend’s passport application.  The application was rejected by the Identity and Passport Service not only because the photo was “unsuitable,” but ruled Sheldon as an ineligible signer because acting is not considered “a proper job.”

In response, Malcolm Sinclair, the president of Equity (the UK’s actor’s union), wrote a letter to Home Secretary Theresa May explaining that the assessment of acting that Sheldon received wasn’t acceptable.  He went even further to point out that if the passport office doesn’t see acting as a proper job, “Unless we are told otherwise, we must take it that the views of a clerk in the passport office represent those of the Government,” suggesting that the UK government as a whole must not view acting as ‘a proper job.”

The Identity and Passport Service is launching an investigation, but made sure to point out, “The occupation of the counter-signatory is not a determining factor in considering a passport application,” so it seems unclear how the “not a proper job” criticism even came about.

We actors get no respect!

via MSN News

1. Ben Leasure via Facebook

March 5, 2012 at 1:51 pm

So in the UK Daniel Day-Lewis and Daniel Craig do not have proper jobs. Logical.

2. Cia Court Rosenberg via Facebook

March 5, 2012 at 5:02 pm

OMG! At first, I thought this was an Onion headline!

3. Thomas Murphy via Facebook

March 5, 2012 at 6:56 pm

SO…what is a “proper Job”? Republican presidential candidate?

4. Thomas Ray via Facebook

March 6, 2012 at 6:37 am

Voted NO on the proposed S.A.G. merger

5. Anne Morag via Facebook

March 6, 2012 at 10:08 am

They are seriously NOT thinking over there, are they? Read the article, loved the backlash.

March 6, 2012 at 1:24 pm

Great comments. Thanks for making me laugh guys 🙂

Luke Evans on Being Cast in Beauty and the Beast and the “Huge Moment” He Had Early in His Career
"It's a validation that you are the right person for the job because they've chosen and they've seen you do something connected to that role." - Luke Evans on Auditioning
Parker Posey on Her Improv Skills: “I still don’t think I’m actually good at it”
"Every time I do something, I worry it’s my last job... I think that’s normal though." - Parker Posey
William H. Macy: “This may sound pretentious, but I am getting better at what I do every day”
"I love the fact that I work every day." - William H. Macy
Luke Hemsworth on ‘Westworld’: “It was a no-brainer to me. I was absolutely going to jump onboard”
"As an actor, if you're given very little information about what's going on, then you're forced to make it up." - Luke Hemsworth
Khary Payton on His ‘Walking Dead’ Audition: “It was one of the more substantial auditions I’ve ever done”
"I always say I’m in the hope business. You’ve got to stay hopeful. You’ve got to get up off your behind and try again..." - Khary Payton