UK Passport Office Claims Acting is ‘Not a Proper Job’

uk-passport-actorsI’m sure all the actors reading this have at one time or another received some sort of disparaging remark about acting not being a “real job,” especially early in one’s career.  But to get the same guff from the people issuing passports… and in the UK, home of Shakespeare?  That’s rough.

But that’s what happened to Michael Sheldon, an actor appearing in the West End production of Three Days in May, when he was rejected after he attempted countersigning his daughter’s boyfriend’s passport application.  The application was rejected by the Identity and Passport Service not only because the photo was “unsuitable,” but ruled Sheldon as an ineligible signer because acting is not considered “a proper job.”

In response, Malcolm Sinclair, the president of Equity (the UK’s actor’s union), wrote a letter to Home Secretary Theresa May explaining that the assessment of acting that Sheldon received wasn’t acceptable.  He went even further to point out that if the passport office doesn’t see acting as a proper job, “Unless we are told otherwise, we must take it that the views of a clerk in the passport office represent those of the Government,” suggesting that the UK government as a whole must not view acting as ‘a proper job.”

The Identity and Passport Service is launching an investigation, but made sure to point out, “The occupation of the counter-signatory is not a determining factor in considering a passport application,” so it seems unclear how the “not a proper job” criticism even came about.

We actors get no respect!

via MSN News

1. Ben Leasure via Facebook

March 5, 2012 at 1:51 pm

So in the UK Daniel Day-Lewis and Daniel Craig do not have proper jobs. Logical.

2. Cia Court Rosenberg via Facebook

March 5, 2012 at 5:02 pm

OMG! At first, I thought this was an Onion headline!

3. Thomas Murphy via Facebook

March 5, 2012 at 6:56 pm

SO…what is a “proper Job”? Republican presidential candidate?

4. Thomas Ray via Facebook

March 6, 2012 at 6:37 am

Voted NO on the proposed S.A.G. merger

5. Anne Morag via Facebook

March 6, 2012 at 10:08 am

They are seriously NOT thinking over there, are they? Read the article, loved the backlash.

March 6, 2012 at 1:24 pm

Great comments. Thanks for making me laugh guys :)

Channing Tatum’s Reddit AMA Covered Everything from ‘Magic Mike XXL’, His “Bad” Acting in ‘Step Up’ and Frozen Poop
"I do get nervous to act, it kind of depends on what it is really." - Channing Tatum
Taylor Kitsch on Living Up to Season One of ‘True Detective’ and Sleeping on New York City Subways
"I had someone very close to me say to me that hopefully I’ll have many more ups and downs, not in just my career but in life. If you don’t have that, you’re not taking enough risks." - Taylor Kitsch
Sutton Foster Talks Ageism and Her Need To Be Creative
"Even when I’m not working, I’m still working on something because I just want to create something." - Sutton Foster
Paul Dano on Playing Beach Boy Brian Wilson: “I’ll probably never find a better acting job”
"Learning to play Brian’s songs, without question, brought me closer to the character." - Paul Dano on playing Brian Wilson in Love & Mercy
David Oyelowo On Why He Became A Method Actor
“You can’t afford for there to be gaps in your pool of knowledge when it comes to a character, otherwise what ends up onscreen is generalized and unspecific" - David Oyelowo