UK Passport Office Claims Acting is ‘Not a Proper Job’

uk-passport-actorsI’m sure all the actors reading this have at one time or another received some sort of disparaging remark about acting not being a “real job,” especially early in one’s career.  But to get the same guff from the people issuing passports… and in the UK, home of Shakespeare?  That’s rough.

But that’s what happened to Michael Sheldon, an actor appearing in the West End production of Three Days in May, when he was rejected after he attempted countersigning his daughter’s boyfriend’s passport application.  The application was rejected by the Identity and Passport Service not only because the photo was “unsuitable,” but ruled Sheldon as an ineligible signer because acting is not considered “a proper job.”

In response, Malcolm Sinclair, the president of Equity (the UK’s actor’s union), wrote a letter to Home Secretary Theresa May explaining that the assessment of acting that Sheldon received wasn’t acceptable.  He went even further to point out that if the passport office doesn’t see acting as a proper job, “Unless we are told otherwise, we must take it that the views of a clerk in the passport office represent those of the Government,” suggesting that the UK government as a whole must not view acting as ‘a proper job.”

The Identity and Passport Service is launching an investigation, but made sure to point out, “The occupation of the counter-signatory is not a determining factor in considering a passport application,” so it seems unclear how the “not a proper job” criticism even came about.

We actors get no respect!

via MSN News

1. Ben Leasure via Facebook

March 5, 2012 at 1:51 pm

So in the UK Daniel Day-Lewis and Daniel Craig do not have proper jobs. Logical.

2. Cia Court Rosenberg via Facebook

March 5, 2012 at 5:02 pm

OMG! At first, I thought this was an Onion headline!

3. Thomas Murphy via Facebook

March 5, 2012 at 6:56 pm

SO…what is a “proper Job”? Republican presidential candidate?

4. Thomas Ray via Facebook

March 6, 2012 at 6:37 am

Voted NO on the proposed S.A.G. merger

5. Anne Morag via Facebook

March 6, 2012 at 10:08 am

They are seriously NOT thinking over there, are they? Read the article, loved the backlash.

March 6, 2012 at 1:24 pm

Great comments. Thanks for making me laugh guys 🙂

Natalie Portman: “I think you can’t judge your character when you play her, or else you wouldn’t be able to”
Portman speaks about the challenges with playing the famous First Lady.
Aaron Eckhart: “I have a saying: ‘If you’re sweating, you’re doing it wrong'”
"People ask me, 'Why aren’t you sweating?' And I say, 'Because I am making myself effortless.' The physical is key." - Aaron Eckhart
Anna Kendrick on Why She Became a Actress and How She Got Her Role in ‘Up in the Air’
"It became the way that I learn about myself and the way that I learn about other people." - Anna Kendrick on Acting
Viola Davis on Returning to ‘Fences’: “It was a chance and an opportunity to fix some things I never got right on stage”
"You know when you’re not getting it right, you know when you’re coasting." - Viola Davis
Nicole Kidman on Roles She Turned Down: “It’s just the journey”
"You’re meant to play certain things and if it’s meant to be, then it just kind of happens." - Nicole Kidman