Ryan Reynolds: “The spotlight can be a very stressful place to be”

Ryan Reynolds has had his share of major blockbusters, including The Proposal and X-Men Origins: Wolverine, and with that of course comes tabloid rumors.  No famous actor or actress is seemingly able to avoid them, so Reynolds, who was not only named People’s Sexiest Man Alive this year but also went through a divorce from actress Scarlett Johansson, isn’t an exception.

Nonetheless, despite his stardom Reynolds tends to avoid the more sordid headlines that his fellow actors have aimed at them, and Reynolds says that’s the result of a simple tactic: ignoring them.  He tells USA Today, “That’s the thing I learned early on: No matter how preposterous it is, I don’t say a word (about tabloid stories), ever. If you start doing it, you have to do it every time. I let it do its thing and watch it come and go. I’m pretty good at not looking at anything.”  In other words, to paraphrase the police: what you don’t say can’t be used against you.

Part of Reynold’s strategy involves simply staying out of the spotlight, as the actor is well-known for disappearing off the Hollywood radar in between films.  He explains, “I don’t think you need to be in the spotlight that much. The spotlight can be a very stressful place to be. People can unravel. To vanish, to have everyday regular life experiences — it informs your work, it informs everything. It allows you to sustain this a lot longer. This world can be very fleeting. And if you’re not cultivating other aspects of your personality, you can be screwed very quickly.”

Ryan Reynolds stars in The Change-Up, opening today.

1. Jacque Temple via Facebook

August 5, 2011 at 4:19 pm

so important to protect your privacy

2. Trudi Goodman via Facebook

August 5, 2011 at 4:22 pm

Well, whenever you don’t want your gig, pass it along to me. Stop whining. No actor I know is working right now, including me.

3. Morgain McGovern via Facebook

August 5, 2011 at 4:33 pm

My friend is a flight attendant with a major airline. Word in the sky is the Scarlett Johannson is a raging bitch. People attract what they are themselves. Sean Penn is a dick too.

4. Morgain McGovern via Facebook

August 5, 2011 at 4:34 pm

He’s a douche. I’m glad Green Hornet bombed. Henry Cavill for ever!!!

5. Kyra Morris via Facebook

August 5, 2011 at 5:20 pm

wow, guys way to eat your own.

6. Ken Murray via Facebook

August 5, 2011 at 7:02 pm

Ryan Reynolds is fantastic. I’ve met him and he was incredibly nice and talked to me for almost a half hour. I know many people who have worked with him and havent heard a single bad thing about him. It was Green Lantern that he was in, not Green Hornet and it couldnt have bombed too badly if the sequel is being written

7. Morgain McGovern

September 3, 2012 at 9:11 pm

Ok, sorry. Came off kind of harsh. I’ve worked in the service industry in LA and have friends in the service industry~ I hear things that normal people don’t. I’m sure they’re nice people.

Chiwetel Ejiofor on His Busy Schedule and How You Have to Be “Open to the Experiences Offered to You”
"I’m very happy to see what happens, and the not knowing is what I think makes being an actor exciting." - Chiwetel Ejiofor
Idris Elba: “Drama is therapy”
"How is it possible for me to be in one state of mind, and then say 'Action' and go into another state of mind?" - Idris Elba on acting
Harrison Ford on Playing Han Solo Again in ‘Star Wars: The Force Awakens’: “Another day at the office”
Perhaps the most exciting aspect of the upcoming Star Wars: The Force Awakens is that it features the returns of many members of the original cast. The most exciting return is that of Harrison Ford, who has been by far the most successful original cast member since the original Star Wars in 1977. In an […]
Jena Malone on Researching PTSD and Where Her ‘Hunger Games’ Character Started to “Click”
It’s no shocker Jena Malone is one of the most talented actors to glide from child star to full fledged adult talent. Now she’s continuing her stride as one of the stand-out characters in the final The Hunger Games film, Mockingjay – Part 2. One of her first and most talked about scenes in the […]
Matthew McConaughey Reveals How He Came Up With His Catchphrase, ‘Alright, alright, alright!’
"My character, David Wooderson, he has three lines in the entire film. Alright, but one of those lines is what I like to call a launch pad line." - Matthew McConaughey
// BLOCK AD BLOCK SNIPPET Place this code snippet near the footer of your page before the close of the /body tag