Thoughts On the 2012 Oscar Nominations

I was laying in bed after the nominations had already been announced, grabbed my phone and saw the list. My first reaction was: The Tree of Life? What the hell?

It’s a beautiful movie to look at. Look at. That’s it. It leaves you with no emotional response after leaving the theater, nothing. I’m actually mad that the Academy snubbed Girl with the Dragon Tattoo over this.

Best Picture: War Horse, The Artist, Moneyball, The Descendants, The Tree of Life, Midnight in Paris, The Help, Hugo, Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close

War Horse was another Huh? It’s expected for the Academy to nominate this Oscar bait of a movie but this was a paint-by-numbers film that Spielberg could have done in his sleep. In fact, he may have. Didn’t he have 3 other films released this year? (It was only Tintin, I know. I was making a joke.).

I”m completely disappointed that these two films were included in the nominations.

I was happy to see that The Artist, Moneyball and The Descendants were nominated. Fantastic films that deserve recognition and more eyeballs to watch.

Best Actress: Glenn Close, Albert Nobbs; Rooney Mara, The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo; Viola Davis, The Help; Meryl Streep, The Iron Lady; Michelle Williams, My Week With Marilyn

Yes! Rooney Mara was recognized for Dragon Tattoo! She was great and this was well deserved. Other than that, the rest were all expected. Great work by all.

Best Actor: Demian Bichir, A Better Life; George Clooney, The Descendants; Jean Dujardin, The Artist; Gary Oldman, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy; Brad Pitt, Moneyball

Say what you want about Brad Pitt and George Clooney but you have to give it to them: They’re both terrific actors. I’d give Pitt the leg up in this race though. Although, Gary Oldman could take this – he was incredible in Tinker TailorDemian Bichir‘s nomination is nice to see. A hard working actor who was wonderful in A Better Life. The actual film… [shoulder shrug]. And what happened to Joseph Gordon-Levitt for 50/50?

Supporting Actress: Berenice Bejo, The Artist; Jessica Chastain, The Help; Melissa McCarthy, Bridesmaids; Janet McTeer, Albert Nobbs; Octavia Spencer, The Help

Another Yes! for Octavia Spencer. Please movie Gods, let her take home this statue. Jessica Chastain had a banner year but Spencer should win this one.

Supporting Actor: Kenneth Branagh, My Week With Marilyn; Jonah Hill, Moneyball; Nick Nolte, Warrior; Christopher Plummer, Beginners; Max von Sydow, Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close

Jonah Hill over Albert Brooks? Uh, ok. Hey, he was really good but Brooks in Drive good? No way. I love that Nick Nolte was given props for Warrior but I think this is Christopher Plummer‘s year.

1. Devin Perry Lotfi via Facebook

January 24, 2012 at 7:40 am

its a SIN that 50/50 isnt nominated…this years nods are NOT ok.

2. Thomas Garner via Facebook

January 24, 2012 at 7:47 am

Is it too cynical of me to refer to The Oscars as The Reindeer Games?

January 24, 2012 at 8:03 am

Thanks Kyra Morris – I changed it right after I posted it. Too quick on the PUBLISH button 🙂 Thomas Garner – I didn’t know you had a cynical bone in your body.

4. Kyra Morris via Facebook

January 24, 2012 at 8:12 am

I know how you feel!

5. Thomas Garner via Facebook

January 24, 2012 at 8:15 am

Lance, please don’t discuss my bone publicly.

6. Lauren Elaine Skirvin via Facebook

January 24, 2012 at 1:20 pm

i couldn’t agree more with everything you said! 🙂

Sterling K. Brown on Becoming an Actor: “You get bit, and you just keep chasing that”
"I was used to being 'that dude from that show, who got shot in that episode'" - Sterling K. Brown
Richard Dreyfuss on Winning an Oscar: “You’re riskier when you’re on the hunt”
"I had no doubt of my eventual success." - Richard Dreyfuss
‘Stranger Things’ Star Shannon Purser on Getting Cast as Barb
"I had never booked anything, gotten close calls, and then one day I got an email about this new show called Stranger Things, asking for a tape." - Shannon Purser
Watch: SAG Conversations on Broadway with Andy Karl
Karl recalls his highs and lows on stages and reveals the charming side that has made him a huge star.
Watch: SAG Conversations with Alexander Skarsgard of ‘Big Little Lies’
Skarsgard talks about his career and work on HBO's 'Big Little Lies'