Interview: The Last Ship’s Eric Dane: “I try not to base my characters on anything other than the circumstances that are given” (video)
Eric Dane stars in TNT’s The Last Ship as Tom Chandler, the Commander of the Navy Destroyer. The show, also starring Adam Baldwin, Rhona Mitra, Travis Van Winkle and Charles Parnell, is the story of what happens when a global pandemic wipes out eighty percent of the planet’s population and the crew of a lone naval destroyer must find a way to pull humanity from the brink of extinction.
I talked to him at a roundtable interview at Comic-Con where he talked about the show and his character. When asked if he based his CO Tom Chandler on anyone in particular, he said that “I try not to base my characters on anything other than the circumstances that are given and how I would behave in those circumstances.” Nice little acting tip there.
Some other highlights:
- He talks about how he got involved with the show
- How the Navy loaded them a 3 billion dollar Destroyer. You heard right, 3 billion dollars.
- The tension between his character and Adam Baldwin’s character.
- What’s going to happen in the season finale?
- How does he like the short season, which is 12 episodes this year.
The Last Ship airs on Sundays at 9pm on TNT