This is a guest post by Gywn Gilliss
I always like to look at role models, people who have achieved their goals with great success. There are few things more thrilling than watching great performances. It’s inspiring! That’s why I love watching the Olympics. This may not be an Olympic year but there’s something to be learned by evaluating the qualities that make up Olympic Winners.
When watching the Olympics you can see not just peak performances but the winning MINDSET of these athletes. The qualities they possess make them winners as well as their ability to snowboard, ski, swim, or high dive. There are few careers more demanding than being an Olympic athlete. Being an actor who succeeds over incredible odds to star in major films and TV series might be one of them. How do YOU compare to an Olympic Gold Medal Winner? Do you have a Winning Mindset? These are some of the qualities that have made these athletes Winners:
1. They LOVE what they do. You can see the joy in every moment they are competing. They didn’t enter the race for the sake of the medal. They entered because they love to compete and do the best they can with their unique talent. They’re having FUN!
2. The have a strong BELIEF in themselves and they express it. Confident that they could get to the podium, they talk about their skill and desire to win very naturally, “I am going to do this- it’ll work out!”
3. They have FOCUS and the ABILITY to FOLLOW THROUGH. Even if it takes years of practice, set-backs, and injuries they never lose sight of their goal. It may take years with major injury but they’re back 4 years later!
4. They have a VISION of what their life will be like. Most Olympians talk about how they saw themselves being EXACTLY where they are now…and those visualizations started when they were very young. They KNEW exactly what they wanted to do and could see it clearly.
5. They have incredible DISCIPLINE and WILLPOWER. No matter what the weather, the season or their physical condition they persist in a strict and consistent schedule of training both physically and mentally. No excuses!
6. They are CREATIVE and UNIQUE. They have the courage to do things their way.They break records because they are in tune with their own bodies and spirit, “This is how I do this…and it works for me!”
7. They have HUMILITY and SIMPLICITY. They don’t seem to be complicated as people. Life is about achieving their goal and not allowing anything- no matter how trivial- to get in the way; bad habits, diet, finances, relationships..everything is put in perspective for the higher goal. You don’t frequently see “ego trips” or “trauma dramas” because there simply isn’t time in their life for such things. So, do you have an Olympic Mindset?
Gwyn Gilliss is the Founder and Executive Director of TAM, The Actor’s Market, a marketing firm for actors. They provide monthly FREE seminars/teleseminars, FREE weekly marketing tips as well as access to top photographers, graphic artists and videographers who provide every marketing tool an actor needs. Gwyn’s acting career spans several decades during which time she appeared on and off-Broadway, in classical roles in American Repertory companies in over 18 contract and recurring roles in Daytime/Prime time TV, Films and dozens of network commercials/V.O.’s. As the foremost Marketing/Career Coach she is available to work One-on-One with ready-to-succeed actors.