New York City Headshot Photographers
Headshot photographers in New York City are like actors – there’s a lot of them. Some are great, some are middle of the road and some are absolutely terrible.
But, we here at Daily Actor are here to help! We’ve compiled a list of some of the best headshot photographers in NYC and when we could, feature a brief statement about their work (taken directly from their website).
Here are some quick tips to remember when choosing a photographer:
- Find someone you’re comfortable with. If you aren’t able to meet the photographer in person, at the very least, have some kind of phone conversation with them. Don’t meet or talk with them for the first time the day of your shoot. To get the best headshot, you’ve absolutely be comfortable with your photographer.
- Look carefully at their website and portfolio. You can get a lot from the look and feel of someone’s website. If the website looks thrown together and not well-made, that’s a tell. Also, if you see headshots in their portfolio that you don’t like, that’s also a tell. FYI, we’ve made sure not to include any photographers like that in our list. We just want to help you out in case you find someone not listed here.
- Pricing. Always look at the pricing options. “It costs how much for 2 prints and re-touching??” I’ve had friends that have had that happen to. Don’t be that friend!
And don’t forget to always ask questions like:
- How many changes of clothes do I bring?
- How much for hair and make-up? And guys, if you’re asked if you want hair and make-up, the answer is always ‘Yes.’ Trust me on this.
- How many shots will they take? And how many shots do I get to process?
- How much is retouching?
And always remember, if you have any questions, need help or a recommendation, contact us. We’re here to help!
With that said, check out our list below! (Updated 10/28/15)
The Best Headshots in NYC
Chris Macke Photography
“I only work with one client per day, so I’m never rushing you out the door because someone else is on their way. There’s nothing worse than feeling a number at the end of a conveyor belt.”
“My hope is that the environment in my NYC studio allows actors to feel unhurried, free to collaborate, to express themselves, and to challenge themselves to make a headshot with a point of view that’s distinctly their own.”
Jordan Matter Studio
“It’s very easy to take a cool photograph. What’s difficult is to take a different cool photograph day after day, year after year. To make every actor’s headshot stand apart from the pile. That’s my intention.”
Peter Hurley Photography
“Peter is a New York and Los Angeles based photographer specializing in advertising and commercial work, including portraiture, fashion, beauty, editorial, actor’s headshots, events and corporate photography.”
Robert Mannis Studio
“Your headshot session is an opportunity for you to show your acting range and your emotional availablity. Working together to create different characters and emotions brings a depth and realness behind your eyes.“
“Are your pictures clickable? With casting director, and agents receiving thousands of submission a day the competition is intense. Make sure you have engaging, honest headshots that capture your acting range and castability.”
Tess Steinkolk Photography
“Headshots are not just for “identification” anymore. They are intended to be flattering and honestly representational portraits that reflect your best qualities.”
Are you a photographer? Contact Us
Check Out More Acting Resources and How To’s
Links and Resources