Tyler Perry warns actors on Craigslist audition scam

A Craigslist post this past weekend advertised that a Tyler Perry movie was looking for extras in LA.  Not only was this fake, but the ad was also attempting to charge actors $29.95 to join a casting club in order to get the job.

Tyler Perry found out and posted this on his website:

http://images.businessweek.com/ss/06/07/roi/image/01_tyler_perry_b.jpg“I’m back from Vegas and had a great time at the Hoodies, but I gotta give a quick WARNING to all my Facebookers, Twitters and Tyler Perry board members: I’m so pissed right now!

I’m sitting in my den writing, minding my own business, when I get an email from my staff saying that someone put an ad up on Craigslist saying that I was casting a movie in L.A., and in order to be considered for this (FAKE) Tyler Perry movie, you have to join their club for $29.95. THAT IS A LIE, don’t fall for it. These folks are trying to rip you off. I hate for people to prey on people’s dreams and hopes. Why don’t people get a job and stop trying to steal folks’ hard-earned money….Ugh, that makes me mad; let me breathe.

Okay listen my dear folks, if anyone asks you to pay in order to do an audition or pay a fee to join a club to put you in a movie, please don’t fall for it. That’s not how it works in this business. It’s free to audition for any film. I’m calling my lawyers about these THIEVES! You’re my best help here, so please do me a favor and send this out to all your followers and friends.

Thanks,

TP”

The ad was removed this morning.

Please, never pay to work!

1. Trigeia Twins

August 18, 2009 at 3:16 pm

Its great to hear that you and your staff was able to catch these scam artist, hopefully before any one became a victim. We have passed out the word through out our Twitter accounts over 23,000 followers and hope that this doesn’t happen again. It is also great to hear from an icon your self that the acting industry does not charge actors to auditions, we have received that questions a few times in the last month and glad you have mad that a point to clarify.

@Trigeia

2. Tiffany James

August 17, 2010 at 12:29 pm

My name is Tiffany James and I want to know how do I report that there is another scam going on under Tyler Perry’s name and I am a victim to it. I joined Tyler Perry fan page and sent him an email because it stated that HE does not share his information with everyone but that you can send a him message. I have over five emails from Mr. Perry that I saved from facebook and then I was referred to an agent. This agent contacted me after I sent her an email out. She charged me a $350.00 for legal documents to be signed to audition and work for Mr.Perry. I sent the payment out and I was sent documents for auditioning at Mr.Perry studios but they were not documents that would cost finances to prepare. I began to get worried and now I don’t what to do. I have contacted western union fraud dept where they have now contacted the police. Not only did they take my money but played with my dreams. I knew never to believe craiglist but when I received the email from Tyler Perry himself I felt safe. Please I want to tell Mr. Perry what’s going on. I my Western Union receipts, and Facebook emails, and the agents emails.

3. Lance Carter

August 19, 2010 at 1:36 pm

What? I’m so sorry Tiffany. What was the website? What area do you live in?

4. Cindy Futch

March 7, 2011 at 7:54 am

I was sent a scam through Facebook . I got an E-mail from someone claiming to be Tyler Perry telling me to contact casting Dear Cindy.
    Let me begin by saying congratulations that Mr. Tyler Perry referred you to contact me.

Let me give you a tip on auditioning and what you can expect: Auditioning is a funny thing. It’s difficult to understand and figure out what Tyler Perry is thinking, what he is looking for and why really you have been chosen or why not. The fact is that 99% of the time you never find out, especially the why not. So be yourself.

Below is what you need to sign up for Acting Interview/Audition in Tyler Perry Studio.

1. The interview/audition fee ($150)
    2. A resume & recent photo

After the receipt of your payment. I will send you the original audition form, earliest date for the next audition, a MEET & GREET Ticket with Tyler Perry.

Please note that on the day of audition you should plan on spending a maximum of 6 hours at your interview/audition appointment and Yes, bring a non-returnable photo to your interview/audition. Staple a resume to the photo.

Hope to see you soon.
    Regards,
    Zareh
    PS: Free hospitality and air plane, if you live outside Atlantadirector this was the message I got from her.

5. Cindy Futch

March 7, 2011 at 8:05 am

I too have several E-mails and this is address I was told to send $150.00 this is part of that e-mail Please send your audition fee via Western Union and to be sent to: Name: Zareh Mardoian
    Address: 322 Rand Rd Apt b Des Plaines Illinois 60016

6. Val Jackson

June 24, 2011 at 1:34 pm

I was sent a scam from facebook on my cell phone, because I had mentioned that I wanted to act in Tyler Perry Production and it said: I just a happend to look on the internet and low and behold, I saw the noticed not to give any money: I have been sent emails from them emailing me continously about the audition: I thank God, that I did not give them any money. The message said,
    Let me begin by saying congratulations that Mr. Tyler Perry referred you to contact me: and to contact Cassie.

1. The interview/audition fee ($150)
    2. A resume & recent photo

Hope to see you soon.
    Regards,
    Cassie

7. Val

June 24, 2011 at 2:11 pm

Also, they sent many email for me to pay $150.00 and using intials tps for Tyler Perry Studio, at least that’s what I thought. this is the email they sent me:

From: TPS Auditions

> Subject: Re: Attention Cassie- Audition
    > To: (My email was is this space)
    > Date: Saturday, June 18, 2011, 2:21 AM
    > Dear Val,
    > Please send your audition fee via Western Union and to be sent to:
    > Name: Akeim Sears
    > Address: Stone mountain, GA 30083
    > Upon the receipt of your payment, I will send you the audition form
    > and free hospitality form to fill and return with your documents to
    > TPS in Atlanta.
    > Let me know if you are interested.
    > Stay Blessed,
    > Cassie
    Then I wrote back:
    > On 6/17/11, Val Jackson > wrote:
    >> Hello Cassie, this is Val Jackson:
    >> I have received your message and I want to thank you for taking the time from your busy schedule to email information, for audition: However, I did not receive the information, where to send the $150.00? Also, thanks for
    >> giving me the sound advice to just be “yourself,” and I will apply it.
    >> Hopefully, I will be able to meet and greet for audiction soon.
    >> From Val Jackson.

8. Val

June 24, 2011 at 2:22 pm

Also, I want to add that they contacted me, through my cell phone: and had sent a picture of Tyler Perry through my cell phone and it was from his facebook wall and had from Tyler Perry: and the message they wrote on cell phone was to to email for audition at TPS Auditions From: TPS Auditions
    > Subject: Re: Attention Cassie- Audition
    > To:
    > Date: Saturday, June 18, 2011, 2:21 AM
    > Dear Val etc…

9. keyonna

February 27, 2012 at 5:50 pm

1. The interview/audition fee ($150)
    2. A resume & recent photo

Hope to see you soon.
    Regards,
    Cassie

this is the email i recieve and im hurt because my dream is to become an actress an work with Tyler Perry.i will be contacting Tyler Perry studio in the morning and see if i can get a refund back. and have who ever sent this locked up.

10. Christi

April 5, 2012 at 11:23 pm

Here is another fake impersonation from Tyler Perry. Contacted me from the facebook ad on needing help (charity). I never responded because I knew there was no way Tyler Perry would go out of his way to find a small charity case like me and instead of donating to my cause, try to ask questions so that they could eventually try to con me. Which is not good since I am in a health situation where I am on Disability and need help covering my medical bills. Looks like this person with this email address will do anything to con a person.

From: “TPS Auditions”
    Date: Thu, Apr 5, 2012 11:13 pm
    Subject: Single Mother with HospitalBills and Disability
    To:

Hey Friend-
    I’m Tyler Perry, an Actor, author, screen and playwright, producer,
    director, songwriter in Atlanta GA. I read your ads. What do you need?
    What do you do for a living?

Stay blessed.
    Tyler

11. Christi

April 5, 2012 at 11:52 pm

Here is another email….this time asking for a one time fee for his lawyer so that he could donate. I can’t believe this.

Hey-

Believe me or not, I’m in a thoughtful mood right now. I’m going to
    help- I’m doing it willingly. But there’s a problem! The problem is ‘My Lawyer needs to be involved’ and he’s probably going to charge you “one time fee” for the paper works and verification. But ofcourse I can help you with upto $5.000.00. That’s if you promise to be good.

Don’t be dismayed, this is not a scam. I need to do that because I don’t want to get scammed! You can google my name to see how many people I’ve helped. One thing I enjoy doing is help and I’ve never regret doing it.

Stay blessed and be good.
    Tyler

On 4/6/12, wrote:
    > Hello,
    > I wish you were really Tyler Perry and that you could help me but
    > unfortunately your email address is listed as a scam email. My family
    > needs help they do not need to be scammed.
    > http://www.dailyactor.com/2009/08/tyler-perry-warns-actors-on-craigsli
    > st-audition-scam/comment-page-1/#comment-12857
    > _____
    > From: “TPS Auditions”
    > Date: Thu, Apr 5, 2012 11:13 pm
    > Subject: Single Mother with HospitalBills and Disability
    > To:
    > Hey Friend-
    > I’m Tyler Perry, an Actor, author, screen and playwright, producer,
    > director, songwriter in Atlanta GA. I read your ads. What do you need?
    > What do you do for a living?
    > Stay blessed.