Chevy Chase on His Problems With ‘Community’: “The hours are hideous, and it’s still a sitcom on television, which is probably the lowest form of television”

I think it isn’t any secret that working on Community hasn’t been Chevy Chase‘s favorite acting gig, as earlier this year he had a very public spat with series creator Dan Harmon and has been very vocal about his thoughts on the quality (or lack thereof) of the cult favorite NBC sitcom.

In a recent interview with the Huffington Post Chase continues to talk about the show, which come with some praise for his fellow cast members along with some… well, less that positive remarks about the show.

While Chase admits that he does enjoy the improvisational humor on the show, he points out that due to the set length of the episodes the cast is limited to how much they can improvise.  He explains “Donald (Glover) likes to improvise. He’s very funny when he does. The issue with a show that’s 23, 24 minutes long is that you can’t really get up and out of your light and start improvising, but words-wise you can, as long as you don’t do it for too long, because then you’re screwed later in editing, and putting it together. There are areas you can. Donald is very good, for instance, in taking something and in the same amount of time, making it funnier with his words. I am good at improvising in another kind of way – I’m very facial and whatnot – so there is a good amount of improv but it’s all based on a very set storyline and idea, that Dan, who has never slept in his life, came up with.”

Although he finds that freedom fun, Chase confesses that he would much rather be on a movie set.  On why he prefers movies over television, he says, “I prefer movies because the money is better and certainly because you really know where you stand when you are making movies, and I have made a lot of them: 50 something, I don’t know. The hours in this kind of show are not commensurate with the actual product.”  He then goes on to be brutally honest in his assessment of the work he puts in on Community and the cast he works with, adding, “The hours are hideous, and it’s still a sitcom on television, which is probably the lowest form of television. That’s my feeling about it. I think the reason I have stuck around is because I love these kids, the cast – they are very good. It’s not like I am working with the great innovators of all time, but at the same time, they are my friends.”

Yikes!  Well, luckily for Chase (but unluckily for the rest of the cast), the upcoming abbreviated fourth season of Community is generally expected to be its last.

1. Ryan Salzwedel via Facebook

September 24, 2012 at 2:29 pm

Always tough as a struggling Actor to read about the elite few who manage a full time gig and then complain about said gig publicly.

2. Gary Pillon via Facebook

September 24, 2012 at 3:34 pm

He can (and should) quit. Then we could put him back into the’whatever happened to that guy who used to be funny?’

September 24, 2012 at 4:39 pm

I used to love him growing up but yeah, when did he become so bitter? Total jackass now.

4. Gary Pillon via Facebook

September 24, 2012 at 4:41 pm

Auditioning for Grumpy Old Men III.

5. Ryan Salzwedel via Facebook

September 24, 2012 at 5:06 pm

I remember Harold Ramis in a Chicago based interview a few years back when asked about Chevy Chase’s disappearance from the comedy scene Harold said bluntly that Chevy’s comedy “never evolved” and that is why he disappeared. Sound like Chevy’s attitude never quite evolved as well.

6. Timothy Balsamo via Facebook

September 24, 2012 at 6:04 pm

So many things could be said about this. It’s really sad though, to see someone who is given such a great opportunity and all they can do is complain about it. Tell us Mr. Chase…exactly how much better is that money in the film arena when you’re not being cast in it? Just saying…your last big hit was when again? Not to mention him insulting everyone along the way. So sad. I use to like the guy. No respect for actors like this though.

Michael Shannon on ‘Nocturnal Animals’: “From Day 1, I felt pretty locked into [the character]. It’s pretty mysterious”
"When you’ve got really great writing, it makes it easy." - Michael Shannon
Why Giovanni Ribisi Never Intended to Do a Show Like ‘Sneaky Pete’ and When He Finally Decided to “Chase Being an Actor”
"A friend of mine introduced me to the Actors Studio and Marlon Brando and Robert De Niro and Gary Oldman. It really was a revolution for me." - Giovanni Ribisi
Outlander’s Tobias Menzies on Preparation and the “Most Precious Commodity” of Filmmaking
Tobias Menzies: "One of the great luxuries when you have a bit of time is that you can give yourself a few different routes through a scene"
Watch: Conversations with Miles Teller and Aaron Eckhart of ‘Bleed for This’
Teller and Eckhart speak about preparing to portray a boxer and his trainer in this inspirational comeback story.
‘This Is Us’ Star Chrissy Metz on Her Long Road to Success