Samuel French Introduces New eBook Program

Well, this is cool. Samuel French, the oldest and largest publisher of plays and musicals, announced this week that they will start to sell both plays and musicals in the popular eBook format.

Which means if you have a Kindle, Nook, iPad, iPhone or even your trusty old laptop, you’ll be able to read them.

They are on sale now and most of the plays will sell for $8.99. I just checked the site and it’s only available via iTunes and Apple products which leaves us Android owners out of luck but French plans to roll out their program in all eReader formats and titles will be available for sale from all major e-retailers by the end of 2012.

2012?! Dag.   Anyway, no matter how long the wait, I think this is a great idea. One, because I’m lazy and having to drive to the Samuel French store or ordering it and waiting for it to arrive is a pain. Two, because when I want something, I’d like to have it right then and there.

The company is hoping that that by launching this new program, they will not only satisfy instant access demands from customers, but help broaden play readership and further expose the work of their authors.

Ken Dingledine, Director of Publications and Operations comments, “Being able to deliver an author’s content in an additional format will only enhance the reach of the creator’s work. We are witnessing a new generation of actors embracing technology in new ways we never could have imagined. We feel Samuel French has a responsibility to make our authors’ work accessible to this and future generations.”

Search the iBookstore below. I’ll be honest, I did and didn’t find much but keep checking back as I’m sure this will become popular.

Update: Kelly Christopher told me via our Facebook page that she just bought a play earlier today and that you can highlight, bookmark and even add notes to the eBook. “You can even take words from the play and look them up in the dictionary and search within the play, Google or Wikipedia using the highlighted word!,” she writes.

Thanks Kelly!

For more info, visit samuelfrench.com

1. Den J Economou via Facebook

November 15, 2011 at 2:21 pm

I like 🙂

2. Kelly Christopher via Facebook

November 15, 2011 at 2:23 pm

Just bought my first play a few hours ago on my iPhone. It’s awesome!

November 15, 2011 at 2:29 pm

I’ve got an Android so – Grrr – its not available yet. Can you highlight or bookmark something? Like if you think it might make a good monologue?

4. Kelly Christopher via Facebook

November 15, 2011 at 2:36 pm

Do you mean within the play itself? That’s a good question. Let me test it on my iPhone.

5. Kelly Christopher via Facebook

November 15, 2011 at 2:37 pm

You can do both highlight and bookmark. You can even add notes.

6. Kelly Christopher via Facebook

November 15, 2011 at 2:42 pm

Holy crap! You can even take words from the play and look them up in the dictionary and search within the play, Google or Wikipedia using the highlighted word! Oh snap!! (I’m new to the whole eReader world…can ya tell?)

November 15, 2011 at 2:48 pm

Nice. I just added that to the post and credited you 🙂

Linnea Berthelse on Her ‘Stranger Things’ Audition and Keeping Her Role a Secret for a Year
“Sometimes when actors don’t get the part, it’s not always about an actor being a bad actor; it’s about connecting to the material.” – Linnea Berthelsen Stranger Things is back on our screens with its second season, something fans have been waiting for ever since season one arrived on Netflix in 2016. Returning to the […]
Jonathan Groff on Playing King George III in ‘Hamilton’: “I rehearsed for about a day, and then went into the show”
Can you even imagine stepping into a role in one of the biggest Broadway hits of all time with barely any time to prepare?
Lina Esco on Playing the Only Female Officer on ‘S.W.AT.’: “I have to portray her as someone equal to all of the guys on her team”
"The important thing for me when I read scripts is how much respect I have for the character and how far I can take her" - Lina Esco
Sam Rockwell on Typecasting and One of His Worst Auditions
"I’m kind of a workhorse. It takes a toll" - Sam Rockwell
Rachel Bloom: “The way that I learned comedy was not rigid, but this very specific technique taught by the Upright Citizens Brigade”
"I went from being a person who was doing moderately successful videos online and working as a moderately successful TV writer and aspiring to do this to having a Golden Globe." - Rachel Bloom