Adam Lambert Complains About the Music in ‘Les Mis’, Russell Crowe Actually Responds

russell-crowe-adam-lambertI’m not into singing shows, so I admit I had to look up who Adam Lambert is when I started writing this story.  Lambert — who was the runner-up on American Idol in 2009 — criticized Les Misérables director Tom Hooper‘s decision to have the cast sing live during the production on his Twitter by saying, “Les Mis: Visually impressive w great Emotional performances. But the score suffered massively with great actors PRETENDING to be singers …it’s an opera. Hollywoods movie musicals treat the singing as the last priority. (Dreamgirls was good),” among other (much more positive) comments.

In particular, he praised Anne Hathaway, Aaron Tveit, Helena Bonham Carter, Sasha Baron Cohen, and Samantha Barks, but added, “I do think it was cool they were singing live- but with that cast, they should have studio recorded and sweetened the vocals” and “The industry will say ‘these actors were so brave to attempt singing this score live’but why not cast actors who could actually sound good?”

For whatever reason this turned into a mild controversy online, and another Twitter user asked Russell Crowe — clearly absent from Lambert’s list of praise — his thoughts on Lambert’s comments.  Crowe responded, “I don’t disagree with Adam,sure it could have been sweetened,Hooper wanted it raw and real,that’s how it is.”

Like Crowe, I don’t disagree with Lambert — despite being an, ahem, rock musician, Crowe is no Broadway singer and is probably the worst singer in the whole film — but I definitely respect how he handled the question with, “well, that’s what the director wanted and that’s how we did it.”  After all, it’s pretty clear Lambert is saying, “basically all the leads were great except Crowe, Amanda Seyfried, and Eddie Redmayne,” unless he’s also lumping Hugh Jackman, who is also absent from his praise, in as an actor “pretending” to be a singer.

Well, now that all that is over with audiences can now go back to enjoying Les Misérables, which has already made $80 million in its first week of release.

1. JC Stuart via Facebook

January 3, 2013 at 5:01 pm

he probably has a point. i’ve heard this soundtrack numerous times, it’s going to be difficult to hear it done only so-so.

2. Diana Sue via Facebook

January 3, 2013 at 5:07 pm

but it wasn’t so so. songs with done well! I teach voice lessons

3. JC Stuart via Facebook

January 3, 2013 at 5:12 pm

^Well that’s good to know. Thanks

January 3, 2013 at 5:44 pm

The only one I had a problem with was Russell Crowe, but after seeing it twice now, he grew on me. The rest of the cast killed it.

5. IP OP

January 4, 2013 at 4:56 am

—But what of the FACT that ‘Le Miz’ itself
    has a bland, WAL-Mart standardized score?

OR that even such as it is —this retread is
    about 15 years beyond its due date?

6. JC Stuart via Facebook

January 4, 2013 at 9:29 am

relevant:

January 4, 2013 at 1:33 pm

Thanks JC. Can’t wait to check that out 🙂

Ewan McGregor on Playing Two Roles on ‘Fargo’: “The challenging part is making sure they’re both unique people”
"I felt like I understood them from the writing and I don't make the job very complicated for myself as an actor." - Ewan McGregor on 'Fargo'
‘SNL’ Cast Member Sasheer Zamata on Creating a Career in Comedy: “I just followed the things I was really interested in”
"I thought I was going to do theater and Broadway and stuff. But I kept going to see UCB shows and was such a fan I was like, 'I should really just try this.'" - Shasheer Zamata
Bill Nighy on Playing Older Parts and the “Terrible Roles” He’s Been Offered
"I never expected to be as fortunate as I’ve been and I’ve been able to play all kinds of roles." - Bill Nighy
Charlie Hunnam on How Shooting ‘The Lost City of Z’ on Location Made it Easier to Get into Character
Hunnam also talks about working with Robert Pattinson and how his dreams of becoming a filmmaker shifted into his acting career.
Michael Shannon on Why He Prefers Supporting Roles
"I see some people that have talent and something to offer but they get in their own fucking way sometimes." - Michael Shannon