UK Passport Office Claims Acting is ‘Not a Proper Job’

uk-passport-actorsI’m sure all the actors reading this have at one time or another received some sort of disparaging remark about acting not being a “real job,” especially early in one’s career.  But to get the same guff from the people issuing passports… and in the UK, home of Shakespeare?  That’s rough.

But that’s what happened to Michael Sheldon, an actor appearing in the West End production of Three Days in May, when he was rejected after he attempted countersigning his daughter’s boyfriend’s passport application.  The application was rejected by the Identity and Passport Service not only because the photo was “unsuitable,” but ruled Sheldon as an ineligible signer because acting is not considered “a proper job.”

In response, Malcolm Sinclair, the president of Equity (the UK’s actor’s union), wrote a letter to Home Secretary Theresa May explaining that the assessment of acting that Sheldon received wasn’t acceptable.  He went even further to point out that if the passport office doesn’t see acting as a proper job, “Unless we are told otherwise, we must take it that the views of a clerk in the passport office represent those of the Government,” suggesting that the UK government as a whole must not view acting as ‘a proper job.”

The Identity and Passport Service is launching an investigation, but made sure to point out, “The occupation of the counter-signatory is not a determining factor in considering a passport application,” so it seems unclear how the “not a proper job” criticism even came about.

We actors get no respect!

via MSN News

1. Ben Leasure via Facebook

March 5, 2012 at 1:51 pm

So in the UK Daniel Day-Lewis and Daniel Craig do not have proper jobs. Logical.

2. Cia Court Rosenberg via Facebook

March 5, 2012 at 5:02 pm

OMG! At first, I thought this was an Onion headline!

3. Thomas Murphy via Facebook

March 5, 2012 at 6:56 pm

SO…what is a “proper Job”? Republican presidential candidate?

4. Thomas Ray via Facebook

March 6, 2012 at 6:37 am

Voted NO on the proposed S.A.G. merger

5. Anne Morag via Facebook

March 6, 2012 at 10:08 am

They are seriously NOT thinking over there, are they? Read the article, loved the backlash.

March 6, 2012 at 1:24 pm

Great comments. Thanks for making me laugh guys :)

Kevin Spacey: “I’m used to people thinking I’m nuts. And you know what? I kind of love it”
"Unless it's Martin Scorsese, and it's a really significant role, fuck off. I'm not playing someone's brother" - Kevin Spacey
William H. Macy on ‘Shameless’, Nude Scenes and Winning a SAG Award
"Of all the awards, that one means the most to me because those are my peeps" - William H. Macy on winning a SAG Award
Helen Mirren on Reprising her Role as Elizabeth II in ‘The Audience': “I was determined not to do it”
"When I took my bow at the end, they were not applauding me. They were applauding the queen." - Helen Mirren
Christian Bale on Not Having a Script for ‘Knight of Cups': “I never had any lines to learn”
"I never knew what I was going to be doing each day" - Christian Bale on working with Terrence Malick in 'Knights of Cups'
Larry David on Who he Wanted to Star in his Broadway Play ‘Fish in the Dark': “Anybody but me”
“It’s one of the reasons I didn’t like acting. I don’t like not being able to interject” – Larry David on acting with a script   Who doesn’t like Larry David? Well, to be honest, Larry David probably doesn’t like Larry David. In fact, David didn’t even want to cast himself in the lead of […]